Saturday, January 03, 2009


Earliest Memories

My earliest childhood memory stems back to when I was an infant, lying in my crib, waiting to be fed. Nah, just kidding. But there is a little story my mother tells me from when I was only a few days or weeks old...
It was time to feed me; I was in my baby bed, screaming my lil lungs out, and she was in the kitchen, sterilizing the bottles and heating the formula for me. My two year old brother ran into the kitchen, saying, "Mama, Mama, baby sisser is cryin'." My mother said, "I'm getting her bottle ready; you go talk to her and keep her company." My brother went to console me, and very soon my wailing diminished. My mom was thinking how sweet and absolutely precious it was that my brother had been able to distract me. She nearly fainted, though, when my brother suddenly came back in the kitchen, proudly carrying me and murmuring loving words of a two year old big brother. I was cooing now; quite content.
Chris had climbed up on a big baby bed with the rail all the way up; had somehow reached in and pulled me out of there (up, over, and down) and carried me across the house and into the kitchen. We have no idea if he dropped me at any point, dragged me, or if he was somehow strong enough to have managed it somewhat smoothly. My mom says I had no visible injuries and that I was no worse for wear. I cringe just thinking about it. :)
I think the real earliest memories I have are from about age three. I remember one house we lived in where I was no more than three; I had a plastic pool out back and I had a big wheel. My dad ran over my big wheel. I still have issues. haha
I remember a house soon after that, when I was still no more than three. It had sliding glass doors in the kitchen and we had a dog named Mike. There was a swing set in the back yard. This was the age when I claimed in all seriousness that The Three Bears had kept me (completely against my will) from coming when my mom called me. I guess I was extremely busy tasting their porridge or something like that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joyce said...

very good, I loved it :) When you cringe just remember that there was never anymore crying or sound before you appeared in the kitchen smiling.

Saturday, January 03, 2009 10:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home