Thursday, February 02, 2006

It has been a hectic week and I haven't had time or been able to think of anything to write about. Things have been weird and stressful with my job from home.... is there a full moon? I decided to post something from my old blog describing this job.

My Job From Home

When my children were born, I couldn't bear to miss any time with them. I made the choice not to go out to work. It definitely caused us to struggle financially. After years of looking for something legitimate, I finally found a REAL work from home opportunity, which allowed me to still be with them. I have done this job for over seven years. I supervise a crew of 20 people (who also work from home) that are soliciting/scheduling household donations for a charity. They call lists that I mail out to them every week. It is part of my job to report their progress throughout the week, via the internet, to the main office -(which is an actual office building-not someone's home) and also to motivate them to do well (trust me that isn't easy) and to re-assign any lists that for whatever reason aren't being called. Re-assigning isn't always easy, because I must re-issue within the group that I manage-which means asking some people to call extra lists. You would be amazed with twenty people the issues that can come up.... Or the complaints I have to deal with, regarding the lists that they are calling. I have definitely had to develop "people skills" in order to maintain my crew-----the goal is to keep it as productive and stable as possible. The office doesn't like turnover, so you have to do your best to work with difficult personalities, from one extreme to the other, and just try to encourage everyone to work effectively and consistently. It is sometimes difficult to maintain an effective balance- when I know someone isn't putting forth the necessary effort into their work-for whatever reason-achieving what I know the company wants them to produce, and not offend or over-push at the same time. I have found when people slack off, they are even more defensive of you insulting their integrity. There are plenty of other responsibilities that are involved with my job.... some boring and repetitive, mainly telephone and computer stuff, but I am grateful to have it. It's only a few hours per day.
I've also mentioned on here that Rickey and I are starting a drywall contracting business. I believe this will be a financially successful endeavor. We are excited. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home