Thursday, January 12, 2006

Jason's Application to college


My baby boy is applying for college. That in itself is something I am very proud of. Not only of him, but of me, too. I never attended college. I was a teenage mom, and didn't really have the best of guidance growing up..... I resolved to raise him differently than I was, and intentionally instilled beliefs and values in him that, thank GOD, have come to fruition.

This is one of the essays he wrote from one of the applications. He was to share an experience through which he gained respect for intellectual, social, or cultural differences. He was limited to the amount of words.

In my sophomore year, our National Honor Society chapter went to the state convention. The guest speaker, a former state senator, talked about the importance of teaching and learning. I'll always remember what he told the assembly that night. He approached the microphone and begin to tell a story. It was about a king, who sent three knights out into the kingdom. Their task was to each bring back a worthy person to be rewarded for their profession. They returned, and brought with them three people of different social stature. One knight brought a doctor, and another brought a scientist. The third knight returned with an old woman. The king asked why each should be rewarded. The first knight said the doctor should, because he is skilled. The second knight said the scientist should also, because he is brilliant. The king then asked why the old woman was chosen, and the third knight replied, "This lady is their teacher." After the story, I realized the message the senator was trying to convey. Although the woman wasn't immediately recognized as intelligent or socially valuable as the doctor and scientist, as a teacher, she had inspired their minds and deserved the same respect.

6 Comments:

Blogger shari said...

I need to do a post on how old I feel to have a son this old. Part of me wants to shout out "HEY-- I'm only 35! And the rest of me is going, "Yeah, well you're old." LOL

I'm really proud of all the essays he wrote...with his mom's "assistance"...I have to brag a little. His English Lit teacher was going to re-vamp them and correct any punctuation/ grammatical errors on them for Jason, but changed nothing and said they were all great. I won't post all of them, but I am going to post a letter from his teacher that we weren't supposed to see, but the teacher let us anyway. :)

Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:45:00 PM  
Blogger ............... said...

All I can say is...WOW!!

Thursday, January 12, 2006 8:32:00 PM  
Blogger Anamika Anyone said...

Give my best to Jason.. and tell him he's an amazing writer.

Friday, January 13, 2006 1:14:00 PM  
Blogger Val said...

Your son is very handsome and from the essay sounds very intelligent. You should be super proud. I'm sorry about the comment thing on my page. I clicked the comment moderate button and it never emailed my when I got one. Blah. Anyway, thank you so much for your comments. It really means something to me.

I won't be on the internet a lot but when I am I'll stop by here.

And 35 is definitly not old!

-V

Saturday, January 14, 2006 4:17:00 PM  
Blogger Abigail Alexis~ said...

congradulations to both of you!

:) AB

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 11:27:00 PM  
Blogger Abigail Alexis~ said...

Hey I jusy realized that the previous commenter said the same thing as I.Hummmmmmmmm.....well...You inspire me Shari, and your son has become who he is, in large part,because you're so great.

Miss you dear. Hope to talk to you soon!

:) AB

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 11:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home