Monday, November 21, 2005

Saturday night we went to see WALK THE LINE.
Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon star as Johnny Cash and June Carter. The movie is a biographical span of their musical careers and subsequent love story.
Even if you are not a fan of country music or of Johnny Cash, you should not let that stop you from seeing this movie. It is awesome. Joaquin captured the essence of Johnny Cash so well, it seemed as though he was channeling him, and as one critic put it;
Phoenix has never held the screen before the way he does here. At times he seems possessed by the spirit of Cash, who died just two years ago (a few months after June died). There are moments, when the camera catches him from a certain angle, or his voice develops a deep, raspy, demonic Cash-ness, when you'd swear that Cash and Phoenix had merged into the same person. -By John Hartl, Film Critic, MSNBC
click here for his full article/review

3 Comments:

Blogger Abigail Alexis~ said...

I feel asleep with the TV on, and strangly aough, I woke up to a review of this movie. The thing is, I could have sworn they said two thumbs down???? Was it really good? I do like Jonny Cash, even thaugh I am not a fan of country music. :) AB

Monday, November 21, 2005 3:04:00 AM  
Blogger shari said...

I really thought it was great. It completely kept my interest the entire movie, and I walked away with a feeling of having truly had an authentic peek into his life. His son with June Carter was the executive producer...and although I've read reports that his daughter by his first marriage was unhappy with the depiction of her mother, she even acknowledged that it was an honest portrayal of her father and June Carter.
I haven't personally read any negative reviews-not to say that there aren't any, though. When I clicked on the movie review on the MSN home page, it gave the movie four and 1/2 out of five stars. For me- "two thumbs up" :)

Monday, November 21, 2005 1:16:00 PM  
Blogger ............... said...

I really want to see this movie! I am a huge lifetime fan of Johnny Cash, and I LOVE Joaquin Phoenix, so it's a good combo for me! Unfortunately, I have to wait till it comes out on video because I never have the time to go to the movies. :(.

Monday, November 21, 2005 2:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home